Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Painting

At our house we love any messy play! Painting is one of are favorites! There are so many benefits to painting with your little ones...really any messy play is good for your babes to do. I started painting with Miles when he was just 4 months old..i know its a bit early and a bit crazy but I would strap him in his high chair with paper and some kid friendly finger paints and make him watch as I moved his hand through the colors. He would be mesmerized. I've tried to make it a weekly activity for Miles and as soon as I ask "Do you want to paint?' he runs to his art drawer and starts pulling it open. Now that he's older he loves using paint brushes and this week I gave him a comb to run through the paint which he LOVED! I'm totally nuts and don't even stick him in the high chair we just paint on the floor! Miles really likes to stick his feet in the paint and then walk across the paper or paint all over his belly. Yes he still tries to eat the paint which I try and stop but it happens and it makes for really funny pictures...after we go right in the bath and he loves to watch all the paint on his body melt into the water. I love watching how his paintings have changed how every week he discovers a new way to have fun with his artwork. I encourage him to get good and messy and these moments are my favorite! If you are afraid of your child eating the paint you can always use vanilla pudding with food coloring...super fun! If your the type that doesn't like the clean up try filling freezer bags with paint and let you little one squish it in the bag....but honestly the mess is the fun part...spring time will be here soon so you can always choose to make it an outside activity...but for us we don't mind one bit...yes i have to wash my kid and the floor and sometimes the wall or rug..but its all worth it to watch him having so much fun!
                                                               Miles 4 months
                                                                  Miles 6 months
                                                                    Miles last week
yes thats blue paint in his mouth..he shoved the entire paint brush in his mouth and ended up with blue teeth!
gross but fun! Painting is one of our favorite messy plays...whats yours?
xoxoxotrash

4 comments:

  1. That looks so fun! I got jasper paints that he could eat, but it's a powder that you have to mix yourself and so far I've always made it too thin. It's still fun, but More recently i found nontoxic dry erase markers and we love them! They erase off mirrors, any kind of plastic, and glossy hardwood floors so it's kind of perfect. Especially for me because I'm lazy about cleaning up. I just ordered a little art table to try to contain the mess, but I know there's no hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute, and thank you for letting Amber's first time fingerpainting be with you and Madeline over the summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been holding off on buying finger paints until we get to CT so HAPPY we are almost there! Maybe Miles and Maggie can finger paint together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. melissa definetly! I can't wait to see you guys again!! you guys can come and have messy play with us anytime!

    ReplyDelete